Thursday, December 20, 2018

Dedicated to my Parents

Writing this BLOG has been an effort of LOVE and is dedicated to my parents. They always talked about their love for two countries; the United States of America and Poland. They were proud of their Polish heritage and knowledgeable of its history and current events. As I grew up during World War II and Russia’s occupation of Poland, I listened to my parents express their strong opinions about both Nazi Germany and especially Russia.

Meet my Parents 


Dad


My father, Thomas J. Worosz Sr., was born in a small village; Swielcza, Poland located approximately 10 miles form the city of Rzeszow. Dad was born on November 8, 1910 and immigrated to the USA, arriving at Ellis Island, New York on July 3, 1914. He would always express his love for our Country because his new home, USA, threw him a huge party the next day, July 4, which he always remembered. Dad’s family barely escaped the ravages of World War I which began on July 28, 1914 and involved the Rzeszow area. He was the last of ten children, all of them having died prior to his birth. The Worosz family of three moved to Niagara Falls, New York where my Grandfather was employed as a miner; excavating tunnels for one of the world’s first hydroelectric power plants. My father had to leave high school at the age of fifteen to work in support of his family. He was fortunate in finding a job at a small chemical firm that was eventually purchased by DuPont Corporation. He worked hard and like many immigrants, prospered because he strived to better himself. He was chosen to work in the production of innovative synthetic chemical products; nylon and rayon. He was president of the local union, promoted to management as a foreman and finally as a product consultant. Dad died in January 2000 at the age of 89.


Mom


My Mom was born in Niagara Falls, New York on March 18, 1914. Her mother died when she was five years old and she was placed in an orphanage for three years until her father remarried. Her step-mother was a widow with children and did not offer Mom care and love. Mom had to leave school at an early age and worked cleaning homes of other, more well-to-do, families. After she married my Father, she worked for awhile as “Rosie the Riveter, at Bell Aircraft during World War II. She was a stay-at-home Mom, provided my sister and me a loving home environment, liked to travel but didn’t accept the idea of flying. Mom died in February 2017 at the age of 102; 6 weeks short of what would have been her 103rd birthday.


Married


My Dad married my Mom, Josephine Mroczek, on June 15, 1935 and they had two children, myself, 1938, and a daughter, Jadwiga (Harriette) in 1941.








Epitaph 


My parents laid the foundation for my growth into adulthood. They provided my sister and me with a loving childhood, a strong Catholic upbringing, a respect for others and a college education. Although a blue collar family, my parents paid for sending both my sister and me through college absorbing 90 percent of the cost. I received a degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Rochester. Harriette, my sister, earned her degree in teaching from Fredonia State Teachers College. We were not burdened with any debt when we began our professional careers. Until their deaths, both stated that their life’s crowning achievement was having their two children receive an education and graduate from college; an achievement that they were denied.

My recent trip through Poland has been one of my most memorable experiences. I started by traveling to my Dad’s birthplace, Swielcza. I visited the Catholic Church where he was baptized, and talked to the parish priest who provided me with information about my Father’s deceased siblings. I traveled through the village’s narrow streets and met some wonderful people, whom you will meet in my BLOG, that opened up their home and hearts to me. I flew to Warsaw where my 16 day tour began, traveled to every corner of the country over a distance of 1,500 miles. I listened to our guides as they expounded on Poland’s past glories, trials and tribulations. I met people who, themselves, had fought against the Nazis and repressive Russian occupation. I visited numerous museums, marveled at the monuments of history and enjoyed Polish food; although not quite up to my Mom’s cooking. I got to know and love Poland.

To my Mom and Dad...thank you!!




Love Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment